Monday 6 April 2015

Kashmiri Tehar || Kashmiri Tehari (Onion flavored yellow rice)


This dish takes me back to my childhood days. This rice is made occasionally in kashmiri families as a thanks giving to almighty for saving from any distress or bad omen. It would be made whole heartedly and distributed to all in the neighborhood. The lady of the house would call out in loud warm voice. All neighbourhood kids would rush and bring a katora/ bowl from home and stand in queue to get it. People that would just pass by would taste some handful and go. I remember I would carry two bowls and enjoy at home with my grandma. Once I started my cooking journey I made sure I will learn it and enjoy it at comfort of my home though I would still relish it if someone distributes. 
Well getting back to the recipe, it has just few ingredients and very less work to put in but the outcome is irresistible deliciousness.

Ingredients:
4 cups rice
6 cups water
2  onion
2 tsps turmeric
Salt to taste
Mustard oil 1 cup 


Method:
In a cooking vessel wash rice in many changes of water and drain the water. Now in the same washed rice add 6 cups water, 2 tsp turmeric and  stir well and Cook the rice how you generally do. I cook mine in rice cooker. Once its done let it cool. In a small sauce pan heat 1 cup mustard  oil, boil it until fumes form and then add in thinly sliced onion. Fry the onion until its brown and crisp. Just take out the fried onions to prevent form further frying. Save the oil ( Important).Switch off. Your bhagaar is ready. To the yellow cooked rice pour in the fried onion and oil mixture. With a spatula mix the rice slowly and see that each grain of rice is coated with bhagaar mixture. Add salt and mix that well. You won't resist yourself from tasting more times. So keep tasting until you feel salt is perfect.Your tehar is ready.

Enjoy it warm 

Tip: serve it with fried boneless chicken pieces/ fried chicken liver/ fried mutton peices or use your own imagination. Sometimes I serve it with chicken tikka and raw tomato and green chilly chutney.

1 comment: